Sunday, May 29, 2011

Week 4: The Real World

This week I started my first "grown up" job. Granted this job is temporary and I'll be out of it in 3 months, but its a great opportunity to get to know what being an adult will really be like. So to keep with my top 10 list here goes:


1. Had to tell myself, being an intern getting a corner office on the "penthouse" / executive level while the other interns are sitting at desks in a huge wide open floor doesn't mean you are anything special... It just means you got lucky for the summer :)

2. I have realized I really enjoy sleeping in... I do not get to do that anymore...

3. Referring to the one above... I will not wake up early to work out unless someone else goes with me

4. People have awesome words or phrases that they always use. My boss will use the word "Frame/framing" in every conversation I have had with him. One of my coworkers uses the words typical and atypical in EVERY conversation... I laugh because I do it too

5. Even when the company has instituted half day fridays none of the executives leave at noon... which makes it awkward when you work on the same floor with all the executives and you just pack up and leave at noon on friday.

6. I do not know how many different ways I have heard "THIS INFORMATION IS CONFIDENTIAL, DO NOT SHARE IT WITH ANYONE"... my favorite is when subtle threats are sprinkled in with it.

7. Trying to play racquetball when there are small children in the court makes it a little dangerous, surprisingly not to the children, but to my brother-in-law who got a point blank range racquetball to the face.... sorry Kevin

8. When the windows in your office are made of glass tubes (thanks Frank Lloyd Wright) They howl like the dickens when it is super windy outside and you get sunlight but can't actually look out the windows.

9. Cute girls in a singles ward in Wisconsin get circled like hawks on the hunt. Which makes it a little hard for the not so aggressive birds so they are left to just fly circles by themselves.

10. For a girl who isn't afraid of anything and is the most energetic girl ever (shes 4) when she gets scared of a water slide at the pool its kinda funny, just a little bit. In conjunction, while trying to teach a 7 year old how to swim, As soon as you let go she puts her feet onto the bottom of the pool. When discussing the matter with her father (my brother-in-law) his response is "just teach her in the deep end"

No comments:

Post a Comment